[mythtv-users] I need a 0.20 frontend rpm for fc9

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat May 24 02:09:49 UTC 2008

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> My server is 0.20 and is will not be upgraded any time soon.
>
> My frontend machine is fc8 and I kept it at 0.20 by excluding the 0.21 updates.
>
> I am about to upgrade the frontend to fc9 but need to keep mythtv at 0.20. Are
> there 0.20 packages that I can install on fc9?
>
> <Rational>
> This is due to the fact that there is no backward compatibility in MythTV so one
> cannot just add a new frontend machine. The server, naturally, is updated less
> frequently. In my case the server runs Debian 3.1 which works just fine (mythtv
> is only one of the many services it provides) for which there are no .21 packages.
> Building from source is unlikely to work due to dependency on many recent versions
> of other packages that are also not available.
> </Rational>

Two questions and a comment.

Why upgrade the frontend's distribution? If it is meeting your needs why
change?

I run my backend on Centos 5.1. It provides all the services for my
home, including LDAP, DNS, DHCP, RADIUS, SMB/CIFS including PDC, IPP and
MythTV. I have upgraded from MythTV 0.20 to 0.21 without upgrading the
OS or any of the services.