[mythtv-users] HDMI audio

Emery Guevremont emery.guevremont at gmail.com
Fri May 23 15:20:40 UTC 2008

btsglw wrote:
> 2008/5/23 Emery Guevremont <emery.guevremont at gmail.com>:
>

>> Another option could be to buy a usb-rs232 adapter. It's easy to install
>> and it's cheap. A recent kernel should support it and once plugged in a
>> usb port, udev will create the device /dev/ttyUSB0.
>>

> You'd have to be careful with this, see below:
>
> -- LIRC FAQ  http://www.lirc.org/faq.html --
> 5. Can I use a home-brew LIRC receiver with a Serial to USB adapter?
>
> No, this won't work. But there is a project working on a dedicated USB
> transceiver. Using an Irman with USB adapter should work though.---

Looks like you're right. But I'm a little surprise since this is
something the kernel handles. I don't see how only certain things can
work with a USB/RS232 adapeter and others like lirc can't. I've never
used lirc, but if you're able to change the serial port from ttyS0 to
ttyUSB0, I don't understand how it wouldn't work.