[mythtv-users] problem playing dvds with menus

dcw dwoody1 at charter.net
Thu May 22 18:22:57 UTC 2008

On Thursday 22 May 2008 10:05 am, David Watkins wrote:
> > > Have you tried using the internal mythtv player for DVDs? I'm using
> > > that one, and it works like a charm.
> >
> > Are you referring to changing the default video player from mplayer to
> > internal?
> > If so, I just tried that and got the same results
>
> Sounds pretty wierd!
>
> Did you make these DVD's yourself?
>
> I've made a couple of DVDs where (strangely) the menu soundtrack
> doesnt' play on my frontend (though it does on other DVD players).
> This makes me think that the menus might use different audio and or
> video encoding to the film.  Maybe you've found something similar but,
> instead of not playing, it just throws your frontend into a tizz?
>
> I'm just guessing really though.
I downloaded,  compiled and installed the svn of libdvdnav and mplayer.
I used 'dvdnav:////dev/dvd ' as the device to play from.

Got the same results. The menu is displayed but the movie is a mess.
The dvds were made on a panasonic dvd recorder. As I recall when the dvd
starts to initialize on the panasonic that it displays 'video ram'. Could
that be the problem?

David