[mythtv-users] Remote recommendations

starcycle starcycle at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:15:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:51 PM, kawayanan <kawayanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:08 AM, John Andrunas <john at andrunas.net
>> <mailto:john at andrunas.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     I hate my Harmony 550 remote with a passion, never been able to
>>     get it working well with myth.  Super slow.  I have stuck with my
>>     JP1 remove acting as a keyboard.  No LIRC required, and really
>>     fast.  The harmony programming is about as counter-intuitive, and
>>     clunky as I can imagine.
>>

>> I second this.  I purchased an IR keyboard and a JP1 programmable
>> remote and never looked back.  The remote emulates the IR from the
>> keyboard so every button = a keystroke.  Removing LIRC from the mix is
>> so nice and it's very fast.
>>
>> Kevin
>>
> I too have been having fun with JP1 remotes.  I have a MS MCE remote
> with was easy to get working.  I now have two JP1 remotes that I use
> with the MCE IR receiver.  I paid less than $10 the remotes on Ebay.
> They are OneForAll, and had to be sent to the company for an upgrade but
> that all now have the connection pins installed (I was impress - nice
> service - they even ship them back free).  I build a JP1 cable from
> stuff sitting around my house.  Now, I can make any remote setup I
> want.  For example, I have a mixture of MythTV buttons, TV buttons, and
> Audio buttons all together on the remote - no switching devices like on
> a normal universal remote.  I could also do macro's and such if I
> wanted.  Its a bit more to learn, but then again some us obviously like
> fiddling with computers and tech stuff. :)

I agree with all these guys! I have a OneforAll JP1, and it's
fantastic. much better and easier to use than the way overpriced
harmony remotes, imo.

I also have a Radio Shack 15-1994 in excellent condition that I'm
selling. Those are like the "king of the JP1" remotes -- really nice.
Strangely enough, I seem to have a small allergy to the rubberized
coating that makes me stuffy and then start sneezing in just a couple
of minutes of being around it, so I really never used it. Too bad,
because I definitely prefer the form factor, feel, function, etc. even
over the OneforAlls. I've been meaning to put it on ebay, but just
never seem to get around to it -- it just sits in a drawer unused. If
anyone's interested in a great remote, just email me off list,
starcycle-at-gmail.com.

Jeff