[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 22 16:05:56 UTC 2008

jedi wrote:

>    ANY digital capture solution is going to be simpler because it doesn't
> have to digitize anything. I am not sure there is such a thing as a
> "digital SD card" (DVB excepted). SD capture cards aren't just capturing
> the incoming video, they are also digitizing it since the stream is coming
> in as analog.
>
>    In the US this would even be the case for "digital SD". It's going to hit
> your system as an analog stream and get re-digitized.
>
>     An HD capture card doesn't have to do much work really. The data is
> already in a format suitable for computer consumption.

Nope. Digital is digital, SD or HD, end of story. It does not hit your system as
an analog stream, so does not need to get encoded. As I am in the UK, I don't
have precise details of the encoding/multiplexing methods used by ATSC, so I
can't possibly comment on whether or not a digital tuner card will be able to do
both HD and SD, or if there are only SD cards.

--

Mike Perkins