[mythtv-users] Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 22 13:45:11 UTC 2008

Carl L. Gilbert wrote:

> What is the difference between an HDTV card and a digital SDTV?  If they
> are both simply dumping MPEG streams, then I don't see the difference.
> And I am at a loss as to why there is a special section about HDTV cards
> and why all digital tuner cards don't claim HDTV?

Digital != High Definition. Digital is just a different transmission technique
compared to analog. SD = Standard Definition, HD = High Definition. Analog can
only (for practical purposes) carry SD. Digital can carry both SD and HD.
Although there are similar 'streams' within the Digital transmission which carry
SD and HD, HD may be encoded differently than SD. HD has much larger amounts of
data and requires much more processor power and uses much more storage (so
faster data busses may be required).
--

Mike Perkins