[mythtv-users] Gloss Mythtv frontend replacement

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu May 22 04:53:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 4:04 PM, Nick Rout <nick at rout.co.nz> wrote:

>  On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:10 AM, Kevin Kuphal <kkuphal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Looks very similar to the xTV theme I've been using in XBMC for over a
> >> year now - Is Gloss that big of a deal?
> >>
> >> xTV in action (not mine) at
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZg3bh8_3o&feature=related
> >

> > I'm disappointed only in that the effort to code a UI in Clutter is being
> > done outside of the existing mythfrontend framework.  Rather, it would
> have
> > been helpful if the developer had instead worked on adding a Clutter
> > renderer (like we have QT and OpenGL) for the existing frontend.  Now, as
> > new features are adding, new protocol commands implemented, etc., this
> > frontend will lag behind the official one until it can be updated rather
> > than being pulled along with the existing codebase.  No disrespect to his
> > efforts but it sure would have been nice to see this as a branch to the
> > existing code to be merged back in rather than a separate project.
> >
> > Kevin
> >

> Come on it looks like the developer has just been playing around for
> his own benefit and has slowly developed something that might be
> useful. One wonders whether he would have got it done at all if
> working within the confines of a larger project. Perhaps you should
> read the dev's latest blog and see the effect comments like yours have
> had:
>
> http://noisymime.org/blog/?p=54
>
> So there is some very useful work there, but its hardly a finished
> product (not even an 0.1 release, no EPG, not even playback of
> recordings.)

I read it and like I said, he's doing great things, but as you say, hardly
finished, etc.  But if you consider just putting his UI work on the already
finished framework on the frontend, you do have a finished product that
benefits from all his UI coding rather than a partially functional program.
Just saying, it's too bad he didn't take that route as it may have already
resulted in something fruitful instead of just potential.

Kevin