[mythtv-users] Gloss Mythtv frontend replacement

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu May 22 01:02:59 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 6:48 PM, Johan Venter <mythtv at vulturest.com> wrote:
> Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:
>>> Looks very similar to the xTV theme I've been using in XBMC for over a
>>> year now - Is Gloss that big of a deal?
>>>
>>> xTV in action (not mine) at
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZg3bh8_3o&feature=related
>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gZg3bh8_3o&feature=related>
>> I'm trying out XBMC as well, it's good and if I was after all
>> "all-in-one" I think I'd be set; but it doesn't by default plug in to
>> MythTV... which is an irk.
>
> Not quite correct. Current versions of XBMC have native MythTV support
> as a video source for watching LiveTV and recordings.
>
> Not sure about scheduling and the program guide, but I'm sure that's
> coming (the functionality is certainly there in libcmyth, which is the
> underlying library the XBMC developers chose to use).

Live TV is there (Though changing channels while watching is not possible).

The EPG is there, kinda. It's presented as a series of folders.
Scheduling is not possible, though watching recordings (And deleting
them) is possible.

Commercial skip is missing (Though is being looked into), and when the
XBMC guys figure out how they want to do DVR-Backend communication,
I'm sure guide data and scheduling will come on some.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston