[mythtv-users] Using extra keys in a keyboard

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed May 21 22:13:47 UTC 2008

>JCA wrote:
>>    I use an RF wireless keyboard to control my MythTV box. This
>> keyboard comes with a plethora of extra keys and buttons all over the
>> place which, when pressed, are totally ignored by MythTV.
>What I would
>> like to do is to map the actions of those keys on to MythTV actions.
>>
>>   For instance, I have two buttons (not to be confused with the usual
>> arrow keys) one labeled with an up arrow and the other with a down
>> arrow, that I would like to map on to the MythTV volume increase and
>> decrease functions. Anybody know how this can be done? I seem to
>> recall coming across a HOWTO along such lines, but I can't
>find it :-(
>>

>Don't have any detailed instructions for you, but you might start by
>googling "lineak". Which is an app for linux to help you map key press
>events. After X recognizing the key press events you can use Myth's
>keybinding editor to map them.
>
>Mike

If all else fails, you could use xbindkeys and then have it run a script
that uses telnet to change the volume. Xbindkeys is great at getting all
those random keys that other programs just ignore.

So press "arrow down", which will run script1.sh, script1.sh tells myth to
change volume down through the telnet command. This is only a worst case
senario in case you can't figure out any other way.

-Steve