[mythtv-users] New Netflix set top box and MythTV - some musings

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Wed May 21 13:35:50 UTC 2008

>Today I read a review about the new set-top box from NetFlix.
>
>http://review.zdnet.com/digital-media-receivers/netflix-player-by-roku/4505-6739_16-33018087.html?tag=pdtl-list
>
>When I read that it had component video and optical audio out I
>realized something. it may be possible to connect one of these
>directly to one of the new Hauppage HDPVR's and then into a MythTV
>system. I imagine it would take a little creativity and some work, but
>it seems feasible.
>
>Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Should work, the sequencing for the capture would need to be figured
out, 480p output only from the NetFlix Roku box for now using
component.

I have the same thought using the HD-PVR and s-video from my Dish
311s. Surly a better capture quality than a PVR-150 and h.264
encoding.

And as for my other comments, don't get me wrong, it's a nifty box
that will sell well for those that use NetFlix.

I just don't trust Roku from my HD1000 experiences. Hopefully, Roku
learned their lesson regarding quality power supplies and proper heat
sinks on power regulators and the NetFlix boxes will not die after
two years as did most all the HD1000 boxes. Fixable but it took a 3rd
party to figure it out, Roku was no help and refused to even comment.