[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

Michael Drons mdrons at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 13:16:54 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Justin The Cynical <cynical at penguinness.org>
To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:55:39 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

Michael Drons wrote:
> I am looking to do HDTV with my backend.  I am pulling the HD content from the firewire port currently.  My current backend/frontend is a AMD, here is the cpuinfo:
> user at mythtv:~# more /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+

*snip*

> Backend has no issue recording the content, cpu load is around .20 - .30 (from top).  The server can not play it back.  I have it connected to a TV via VGA cable (TV has VGA input).  The CPU goes to 100%, due to X windows.  I have tried to configure XvMC but I cant get it to work.  I believe my nvidia card does not support it.  It is a
> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

*snip*

> So at minimum I need a new video card, which is about $80.  I am limited in what I can purchase since I only have PCI and AGP slots available in current backend/frontend.  Is a new video card going to solve my problems or should I be looking to purchase a new frontend?  I have on order a homerun to add additional HD recording.  The backend also has a PVR 250 and PVR 500.

You didn't state where you are located, but going by the IP in the
headers, I'm guessing around Boston MA.

You have it right, you really should get a newer video card.  I do not
believe that the GeForce2 series support XvMC.

As for the video card, at the moment, some kind of NVidia card in the
5000 to 7000 series range (anything higher is useless as NVidia doesn't
support XvMC under Linux on the 8000 and higher series of cards).  Since
you are probably running an AGP system, a 5000 or 6000 series are
probably your only real options, both of which are not that expensive,
assuming your motherboard can do 8x AGP speeds.

Looking at newegg, the cheapest fanless AGP 8X only card is a MSI
NX6200AX-TD256H for $33.49 (and currently has a $10 MIR).

The cheapest 4x/8x card is a XFX PVT44AYAJG GeForce 6200 512MB for $54.99

Either card would be silent and support XvMC just fine.

Anther thing to look at is your Linux install.  You didn't say which
distribution you are using, or desktop environment, if any, window
manager, etc.  Killing off unneeded daemons or running a lightweight
window manager will work wonders for freeing up CPU for HD playback.

Myself, I've been able to get HD playback on a 1 ghz T-Bird core AMD and
a GeForce MX440 using a stripped down custom compiled Linux install (LFS
for those who might wonder).