[mythtv-users] Best nuvexport settings for HDTV recordings?

Seeker5528 seeker5528 at comcast.net
Wed May 21 02:20:37 UTC 2008

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 11:04:31 -0800 (PST)
"Bob Sully" <rcs at malibyte.net> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I've been running Myth for nearly a year now, and since I haven't been
> close to filling up my drives, I haven't thought much about copying
> recordings to DVDs.  However, I thought I'd give it a try today, so I went
> ahead and tried one.
>
> This is a 2-hr (more like 80-90 minutes without the commercials) show, at
> 720p HD resolution.  I chose the defaults, except for changing the audio
> bitrate to 256 (instead of the default 384).  The machine is an Athlon-64
> 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM, running Mandriva 2007.1 64-bit with the latest
> available Myth RPMs.
>
> Granted, it has live TV running at the moment, but 106 hours to finish the
> job seems a bit excessive:
>
> Where would you like to export the files to? [.] /mythtv
> Enable Myth cutlist? [Yes]
> Enable noise reduction (slower, but better results)? [Yes]
> Enable deinterlacing? [Yes]
> Crop broadcast overscan border (0-5%) ? [2]
> Audio bitrate? [384] 256
> Maximum video bitrate for VBR? [6000]
> VBR quality/quantisation (1-31)? [5]

I export through the archive files menu in MythTV, using the create DVD
option.

When Choosing to use the cut list, and not to re-encode the video, A 2
hour show (or 2 hour long shows) took about 45 minutes, give or take, on
my Athlon 64 2800+, this includes cutting out the unwanted stuff,
shrinking the resulting video to fit on the DVD and producing the ISO,
not including the burning time,

With the settings I use when recording with the WinTV PVR 250, file
size is not that different from what I get with the HD Homerun and
as a result it takes a similar amount of time to produce a DVD for
either of these when choosing not to re-encode the video.

My problem is, my TV doesn't do HD resolutions so when I tried to
play back the non-re-encoded HD video it didn't work, I'm pretty sure
the DVD player is capable of handling it, but YMMV. When using the built
in archiving functions to create a DVD it only gives you the standard
DVD quality levels. to re-encode the video to 720x480 at the highest
quality that showed the whole thing would fit, doing a 1.5 hour show
took about 4 hours to cut, re-encode and create the ISO, it was from a
PBS broadcast so no commercials, just cutting excess from beginning and
end. This was after upgrading my CPU to a 3800+ dual core chip.

This is in Debian unstable by the way, I think they leave some bits out
of the encoder due to patent concerns that affect the speed of the
encoding, but I don't have anything to compare it to so I don't know
how much of a factor that really is.

Haven't tried the native MythTV archive, I would assume there was a no
re-encoding option for that, that would span DVD's as necessary?

Later, Seeker