[mythtv-users] root partition filled up -- no space to start mysqld

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed May 21 02:11:18 UTC 2008

> I'm not an expert on the 'du' command, but:
>
> du -hscx /*
>
> seems to give summarized totals for each top-level directory, letting me
>  see more easily what directory is using the most space.  I've used
> this to go on similar "large file" hunting expeditions...

This is exactly the command I was looking for, but unfortunately it
doesn't bring me any closer to a resolution:

[root at mythbackend tmp]# du -hscx /*
5.7M    /bin
6.1M    /boot
88K     /dev
68M     /etc
74M     /home
82M     /lib
16K     /lost+found
8.0K    /media
72K     /mnt
4.0K    /mythextra
69G     /mythlibrary
0       /mythlibrary2
14M     /opt
du: cannot access `/proc/23824': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/23831/task/23831/fd/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/23831/task/23831/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/23831/fd/4': No such file or directory
du: cannot access `/proc/23831/fdinfo/4': No such file or directory
0       /proc
368K    /root
16M     /sbin
4.0K    /selinux
4.0K    /srv
7.1M    /storage
0       /sys
67M     /tmp
2.5G    /usr
225M    /var
72G     total
[root at mythbackend tmp]#

All this seems to be in order, although I'm a bit confused as to why
the mythlibrary stuff is showing up with the right size when mounted
at and bound from /mnt/sdb2 but /mnt doesn't show anything and
/mythextra doesn't show anything. For the record, the storage volume
is on /dev/sdc2, mounted at /mnt/sdc2 and the directories are linked
to /mythextra/.

I also don't understant the non existent /proc stuff, but the things I
don't know about /proc could fill Lake Michigan.

Thanks for the tip and I'll definitely keep that command for later.
But alas is doesn't seem to help solve the problem.