[mythtv-users] root partition filled up -- no space to start mysqld

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed May 21 02:01:11 UTC 2008

>>  [mythtv at mythbackend lib]$ df -h
>>  Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>>  /dev/sda2              12G   12G     0 100% /
>>  /dev/sda1              99M   12M   83M  13% /boot
>>  tmpfs                 248M     0  248M   0% /dev/shm
>>  /dev/sda5             174G   22M  174G   1% /mythlibrary2
>>  /dev/sdb2             465G   69G  397G  15% /mnt/sdb2
>>  /dev/sdc2             465G  448G   17G  97% /mnt/sdc2
>>  [mythtv at mythbackend lib]$
>>
>>  Everything is where I'd expected it to be except for sda1. I can
>>  confirm that the last couple recordings are in /mythlibrary, which is
>>  bound in fstab to /mnt/sdb2. I don't believe that any recordings have
>>  been made to mythlibrary2.  With /dev/sda5 mounted to /mythlibrary2
>>  the directory appears empty. With /dev/sda5 unmounted the directory
>>  also appears empty.
>
> Do you have a /mythlibrary directory on /dev/sda2? You state that
> recordings were made to this directory - the partition is only 12G in
> size, and could easily fill up with a couple of recordings, on top of
> the rest of the OS installation. You may need to unmount /dev/sdb2 in
> case it is shadowing the /mythlibary directory on /dev/sda2.

I created the directories /mythlibrary and /mythlibrary2 and chowned
to mythtv. In fstab, /mythlibrary is bound to /mnt/sdb2 (which is
mounted by /dev/sdb2). Mythlibrary2 is mounted by /dev/sda5. Here's my
fstab:

root at mythbackend mythlibrary]# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
#LABEL=/mythlibrary      /mythlibrary2           xfs     defaults        1 2
LABEL=/boot1            /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda3         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sdb1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /media/cdrom            auto    noauto,ro,user  0 0
/dev/sda5               /mythlibrary2           jfs     rw      0 0
/dev/sdb2               /mnt/sdb2               jfs     rw      0 0
/dev/sdc2               /mnt/sdc2               jfs     rw      0 0
/mnt/sdb2               /mythlibrary            none    rw,bind 0 0

More juicy info:

[root at mythbackend mythlibrary]# mount -a
[root at mythbackend mythlibrary]# mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/sdc2 on /mnt/sdc2 type jfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /mythlibrary2 type jfs (rw)
/dev/sdb2 on /mnt/sdb2 type jfs (rw)
/mnt/sdb2 on /mythlibrary type none (rw,bind)

> What other non-OS directories are located on /dev/sda?

[root at mythbackend /]# ls -a
.             bin   home        mnt           opt   selinux  tmp
..            boot  lib         mythextra     proc  srv      usr
.autofsck     dev   lost+found  mythlibrary   root  storage  var
.autorelabel  etc   media       mythlibrary2  sbin  sys
[root at mythbackend /]#

/mythextra is sdc2 -- it contains storage subdirectories Audio, Video and Data.
/boot is its own partition
/mythlibrary is bound to /mnt/sdb2, which is mounted from /dev/sdb2.
/mythlibrary2 is mounted from /dev/hda5

Everything else is /, which is sda2.

> Why are you surprised with the location of /dev/sda1? At 100M it's a
> typical size for /boot.

That was a typo -- I meant sda2.

> Have you updated your storage directories in mythtv-setup to reflect
> the new disk setup?

Yes. I was able to get the system to import the old database, see the
old recordings, and play back the old recordings.

> Finally, check /tmp as there could be a large temporary file sitting in there.

I've checked /tmp but can't see any showstoppers there:

[root at mythbackend tmp]# du -ax | sort -rn | less

68472   .
27112   ./mythtv_ddp_8Hk8Q5
21544   ./mythtv_ddp_azz6vL
19728   ./mythtv_ddp_1qHkC1
2076    ./mythtv_ddp_8Hk8Q5/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080519050000_to_20080520050000
2076    ./mythtv_ddp_1qHkC1/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080519050000_to_20080520050000
2072    ./mythtv_ddp_azz6vL/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080519050000_to_20080520050000
2040    ./mythtv_ddp_azz6vL/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080520050000_to_20080521050000
2040    ./mythtv_ddp_8Hk8Q5/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080520050000_to_20080521050000
2040    ./mythtv_ddp_1qHkC1/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080520050000_to_20080521050000
2032    ./mythtv_ddp_azz6vL/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080521050000_to_20080522050000
2032    ./mythtv_ddp_8Hk8Q5/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080521050000_to_20080522050000
2032    ./mythtv_ddp_1qHkC1/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_20080521050000_to_20080522050000
2028    ./mythtv_ddp_azz6vL/mythtv_dd_cache_1_dsmolka at gmail.com_UTC_200805230500:

Thanks for the pointers, but I just can't figure out what's taking up
the space. My initial guess was that the system was recording to /
rather than to the proper partition but when I look at /mythlibrary it
shows all of the existing recordings, plus the ones that were made
most recently.