[mythtv-users] MythTV and the "average" user...

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Wed May 21 01:18:01 UTC 2008

Mike Dent wrote:
[deleted]

> Does there exist a Tivo-esque theme for MythTV?
>
> I've had a Tivo in the UK (which is a few version behind the US stuff) for
> about 5 years now, as others have said it 'just works' and the UI, although
> now very slow in comparison to Myth, is simple to use and navigate, and
> causes little confusion to the wife :) which is a good thing.
>
> The standard Myth themes seem to make almost too many functions available to
> the average user, and choice of wording for some of the menus may be
> considered confusing to some?
>
> I guess what I need is a very simple theme which allows watching and
> recording shows and all the other stuff is hidden behind an 'advanced' menu.

[deleted]

Have you tried changing your menu theme?

Utilities/Setup->Setup->Appearance

At the bottom of this setup screen is a selection for "Menu theme" :
options on box are: Default, classic and DVR.

The DVR theme puts the more DVR-specific functions on the first menu
screen you see.  (The "Main" screen you seen when you first start the
frontend.)

NOTE: I am running version .20.2, using the G.A.N.T. theme.  I tried a
couple of different themes available to me, and the "DVR" menu theme
seems to work on those as well.  I can't speak to whether this works any
differently in .21, but anyway, it might be more along the lines of what
you are looking for.