[mythtv-users] frontend for HDTV

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Tue May 20 19:41:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Michael Drons <mdrons at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am looking to do HDTV with my backend.  I am pulling the HD content from the firewire port currently.  My current backend/frontend is a AMD, here is the cpuinfo:
> user at mythtv:~# more /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 8
> model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1500+
> stepping        : 1
> cpu MHz         : 1331.318
> cache size      : 256 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
> pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow ts
> bogomips        : 2665.03
> clflush size    : 32
>
> Backend has no issue recording the content, cpu load is around .20 - .30 (from top).  The server can not play it back.  I have it connected to a TV via VGA cable (TV has VGA input).  The CPU goes to 100%, due to X windows.  I have tried to configure XvMC but I cant get it to work.  I believe my nvidia card does not support it.  It is a
> 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 7
>        Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>        Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
>        [virtual] Expansion ROM at d9000000 [disabled] [size=64K]
>        Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 2
>        Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
>
> So at minimum I need a new video card, which is about $80.  I am limited in what I can purchase since I only have PCI and AGP slots available in current backend/frontend.  Is a new video card going to solve my problems or should I be looking to purchase a new frontend?  I have on order a homerun to add additional HD recording.  The backend also has a PVR 250 and PVR 500.
>
> Any recommendations on video card?
>
> Thank you for any input, Mike

I'm gonna have to disagree with the people recommending new hardware.
That should work fine as long as you're only doing MPEG2 decoding. I
had a 1700+ that decoded with an nvidia card just fine (but then it
broke so now I have a 3200+ or something... whatever super cheap CPU I
could find). Just get a "new" video card... 5200 or better (but stay
away from the much hated 7300). I have a 6200 and 6600 and they both
handle HD very well with XvMC. If your current hardware is working for
you otherwise why waste the money. I've found a few nvidia cards for
cheap searching the computer section of my local craigslist. That way
you don't have to pay for shipping or wait around to win an auction
maybe.