[mythtv-users] Myth broken and Ubuntu Nvidia Driver hell

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue May 20 08:27:44 UTC 2008

Mark Boyum wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Al B. <brekkal at gmail.com
> <mailto:brekkal at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Daniel Kristjansson
>     <danielk at cuymedia.net <mailto:danielk at cuymedia.net>> wrote:
>

>          >Also, I'm not sure that Ubuntu 804 is really the best
>         operating system
>          >for this PC. If I were in your shoes, I would stick with
>         Ubuntu 6.06.2
>          >LTS and only update the pieces that need updating.
>

>     But with Ubuntu, aren't you more or less forced to upgrade to 8.04
>     if you want Myth .21?  (or is that just the case with mythbuntu?)
>      Of course you can always compile it yourself, but for those who
>     prefer pre-packaged binaries it seems that you are required to keep
>     upgrading the OS version.

> I have a Nividia Geforce4 MX 4000 in an Athlon 1.4 Ghz machine running a
> combined FE/BE system under Ubuntu 8.04 with no issues.  So I don't
> think the OS will pose a problem for the OP.  Though it may need
> tweaking to get the desired performance.
>
> Getting to Ubuntu 8.04 from 7.04 was a nightmare and resulted in my wife
> not being able to watch a couple of shows when she wanted.  I seemed to
> have fallen into the NVIDIA driver trap as well.  I finally resolved the
> issue by shrinking my boot partition enough to create a new one and
> install a fresh Ubuntu 8.04 system.  From there everything loaded
> perfectly, including the NVIDIA drivers from the Ubuntu repositories.  I
> didn't even have to use EnvyNG.
>
> I suggest a clean install and then copy your mythconverg DB over.

That's given me a little more hope. I was thinking that I either had to
upgrade my hardware or downgrade Ubuntu (which still might be the choice
I'm left with and I'm finding it difficult to decide between them).

Either way, I'd like (if at all possible) to keep all of my Myth
settings in tact. Could anyone talk me though, or point me to a link on
exactly how to do that? I'm not at the point where "copy your
mythconverge DB over" is enough for me at the moment. Everything I've
done with the DB, has lead to trouble!

Damian