[mythtv-users] close caption in ver .21

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 20 00:09:58 UTC 2008

On 05/19/2008 06:13 PM, dcw wrote:
> When using close caption the previous text is not always removed before
> displaying new text. I have tried both types with the same results. The mail
> mailing list archive indicates that the 608 should work properly.
>
> Fedora 8 and Mythtv ver. .21
>
> Am I over looking a setting?

If you really are using EIA-608 captions and see that behavior, it's a
problem with the captions in the stream.  More likely, you're still
using EIA-708 captions and only think you're using EIA-608.

Make sure you bind a key to TOGGLECC608 and try using that key
immediately upon starting playback (i.e. before attempting any other
approach to enable captions).  Some of the caption toggles try to choose
the best captions, so you may not get what you think you're getting if
you don't do it right.

Note, there's also a setting:

Prefer EIA-708 over EIA-608 captions
When enabled the new EIA-708 captions will be preferred over the old
EIA-608 captions in ATSC streams. This is the default, but as of early
2008 most stations are not broadcasting useable EIA-708 captions.

that you probably want to disable for now.

Mike