[mythtv-users] DVI or RGB

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 19 23:58:24 UTC 2008

On 05/19/2008 03:49 PM, Brett Williams wrote:
> I am using a Vizio VP50 Plasma TV with my MythTV.  I have the option
> of going DVI to HDMI or out the 15pin monitor cable on the computer to
> the 15pin RGB plug on the TV.  I have been using the RGB connection
> and have had great quality on it, but in the back of my head I am
> thinking I may get a better picture using the DVI/HDMI connection.
>
> What would you do?  Is one that much better than the other?

Which is better is completely dependent on (all of) the hardware you're
using, not to mention the image you're sending to it.  That includes the
video card and how it was wired together, the cable (and cable length,
and cable quality, and ...), and /most importantly/, how the TV was wired.

My Samsung 1080p DPL TV /always/ uses DNIe (Digital Natural Image
engine--don't ask me, I guess the marketing guy's right-shift key was
broken and using left shift for the D tired him out so much that he
couldn't do the same for the e) for any image provided over any input,
with the exception of VGA.  Therefore, if I hook my Myth box up to the
DVI port (or Component), I get an equally bad image where colors are
extremely bright (and looks pretty cool with bright colorful images--as
the ones in the demo discs) but blacks are oversaturated to the point of
losing significant detail.  If I connect my Myth box using VGA, black
is, er, black.  So, since most of the TV I watch tends to have an
overabundance of dark scenes, using DVI gives me significantly worse
quality on all my shows.

So, it all comes down to what processing is happening where, where the
manufacturer spent the money on your equipment, and what you're using it
to do.  Oh, and don't be so naive to assume that your TV isn't violating
the sanctity of the image you're providing it.  :)

But, isn't digital always better?  Whatever...

Mike