[mythtv-users] Two commercial flagging errors on BSG last Friday

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon May 19 19:22:51 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:10 AM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> Overall commercial flagging works quite well - I believe that I have
>> my commercial flagging set for strict, using all detection methods.
>> So I was pretty surprised when it made two mistakes last Friday on
>> Battlestar Galatica.  Not a huge deal, and didn't seem to bother the
>> wife too much, but it for sure convinced me that I don't want to
>> auto-transcode to remove commercials like I was considering.  There
>> were actually two different types of errors:
>>
>> a) Right in the middle of the show, it properly skipped a commercial,
>> plus an extra period of time after the commercial ended.  I jumped
>> back and noticed there was definitely a "TV14" logo on the screen at
>> the point where commflag should have detected the end of the
>> commercial, but apparently didn't.
>>
>> b) Right before the show ended, it "detected" a commercial when there
>> wasn't one (I have the commercial notification pop-up turned on).
>> There was definitely a major transition in the scene, but it wasn't
>> time to go to commercial.
>>
>> A couple of questions:
>>
>> 1. Has there been any interest on the part of the developers (or
>> anyone else) to improve commflagging?  If so, I'd be willing to get
>> this recording to someone somehow.
>> 2. Is it better to use only certain detection methods rather than all
>> of them?  Are there ones that are better to avoid?
>>

> Auto-transcode does not remove commercials, you need to edit the recording
> and create a cut-list first.   You can get a head-start on the cut-list by
>
> Commercial flagging works 95% of the time (in the US anyway), but I don't
> think it could ever be 100%.  You should always manually check it before
> making any permanent changes.

Agreed.  Commercial detection is not 100% accurate.  I see an incorrect
commercial detection in about one out of every ten shows I watch.  In
particular shows with short or long breaks often confuse the commercial
detection software.  Like sports shows where they will have a real short
commercial break in between plays or a gameshow that has an extended break
before the final round almost always get flagged wrong.