[mythtv-users] Video sync not working in TV out

Owen B. Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Mon May 19 04:22:49 UTC 2008

OK, I found another symptom of my problem. I think this is the root of
it. My /var/log/Xorg.log.0 has the following:

(--) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s) on GeForce FX 5200 at PCI:
1:0:0:
(--) NVIDIA(0):     SONY TV (DFP-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): SONY TV (DFP-0): 135.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
(--) NVIDIA(0): SONY TV (DFP-0): Internal Single Link TMDS
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode Validation Overrides for SONY TV (DFP-0):
(II) NVIDIA(0):     NoEdidModes
(II) NVIDIA(0): Assigned Display Device: DFP-0
(WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "720p"; removing.
(WW) NVIDIA(0):
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the
default mode
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select".
(WW) NVIDIA(0):
(II) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes:
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480
(WW) NVIDIA(0): SONY TV (DFP-0)'s EDID does not contain a maximum
image size;
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     cannot compute DPI from SONY TV (DFP-0)'s EDID.
(==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default
(==) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 32-bit ARGB GLX visuals.
(--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp

That seems to indicate that, for some reason X doesn't like my custom
modeline (quoted below). As I mentioned earlier, this exact config DID
work with this card and monitor, up until I upgraded my system with a
new Debian, Xorg, and Nvidia drivers. So, why is my formerly-good
modeline not acceptable anymore?