[mythtv-users] Powering down a slave back end

Len Reed crunchyfrog at charter.net
Sun May 18 17:51:12 UTC 2008

Am I reading things right? It's possible to put the master back end to
sleep. It's possible to put the master and the slaves to sleep. But you
cannot leave the master up and bring slaves up and down as needed.

Details:

My master backend is a powerful machine and it does a lot of things:
local DNS and DHCP service, backup for other machines, high def back
end, high def front end, MySQL server, etc. It has a DVB tuner, firewire
from the cable box, and an PVR250. It stays up 24/7.

I have a slave back end with a single PVR250 that is used mostly for
grabbing shows when there's a conflict. It also is a low-use
workstation, mostly used for guest web-surfing. I'd like it powered down
if not used. (Wake-on-Lan and wake by keyboard work fine.)

Am I right about the limitations?

Thanks, Len