[mythtv-users] All sound out S/PDIF (was: Dolby Digital Signal indicator on Receiver)

Jesse Burt genecide at comcast.net
Sun May 18 15:01:30 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 05/18/2008 02:14 AM, Bob Sully wrote:
>> Still no luck with getting stereo streams to play in mythfrontend (using
>> the internal player for recordings, or mythmusic) if a file with Dolby
>> Digital 5.1 sound is played first.

-snip-

> It has nothing to do with Myth.  It's completely an audio configuration
> issue.
>
>> If not...this is a feature request (or is it a bug-fix request? - not
>> sure).  ;-)
>
> System configuration bug.  :)
>
> Mike

Bob,

I have to agree with Mike: this sounds more like a problem with system
configuration, perhaps even the driver for your sound card. I do exactly
what you are trying to do without any modifications to ALSA's
configuration with a Realtek ALC850 codec (nVidia CK8S on-board audio).
I would suggest posting to the alsa-users mailing list (check
www.alsa-project.org); I /read/ alsa-devel daily and if it is any
indication of what alsa-users is like, the developers/moderators are
very knowledgeable (duh :) ) and helpful and should be able to point you
in the right direction.

Cheers,
Jesse Burt