[mythtv-users] All sound out S/PDIF (was: Dolby Digital Signal indicator on Receiver)

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun May 18 06:14:23 UTC 2008

Still no luck with getting stereo streams to play in mythfrontend (using
the internal player for recordings, or mythmusic) if a file with Dolby
Digital 5.1 sound is played first.

I can play any videos, no matter what the sound codec is, within myth with
this: "mplayer -fs -zoom -quiet -vo xv -ao alsa:device=spdif -afm hwac3
%s").

Right now, I still have to exit mythfrontend and run "iecset audio 0",
then restart the frontend to play a stereo recording if I have watched a
5.1 show before it.  This is the case with my combined BE/FE machine (uses
an Asus P5K-Deluxe/Wifi motherboard) and my upstairs frontend (ABit
AN8-32X).  I do not have to do this if I play only recordings with DD 5.1
audio.

The previously mentioned work-around with a remote would be an interim
fix, if I used a remote (I don't; I use RF keyboards on both machines).

Has anyone yet found a fix for this within mythfrontend, so that the
internal player for recordings and music will allow ALL sound to go out
via the S/PDIF interface?

If not...this is a feature request (or is it a bug-fix request? - not
sure).  ;-)

Bob