[mythtv-users] Detecting all-black videos

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Sat May 17 01:29:02 UTC 2008

As has been discussed a few times on this list, I have a DirecTV
receiver that occasionally outputs only black screen with no
video/sound.  When this happens the tuner appears to work normally from
the serial interface as far as I can tell, but it outputs only black.

My question is whether it is possible to detect these all-black no-sound
videos from a script of some sort.  I'd like to set up some kind of cron
job or maybe a user job that detects these videos and sends out some
kind of alert when the receiver is in this state so that the damage is
minimized (I've sometimes discovered the problem after several days of
recordings are all blank).

Can anybody think of suitable tools.  A command-line tool that could
measure the average brightness of a range of frames or the average
volume of a given time range would be perfect.  I'm sure I could figure
out the rest...

Alternatively - if anybody has figured out a way to detect this problem
via the serial interface I'll just add the check to a cron job or my
channel changing script and catch it there.  That would probably be a
much cleaner solution.  And if anybody has a way to reset a DirecTV
receiver short of having a controllable power switch on it let me know!