[mythtv-users] Backing out of a Transcode safely

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 15 22:00:04 UTC 2008

I have been experimenting with Transcoding, since I know absolutely nothing
about the process, and up to now the as-received files were perfectly adequate.

However, I have transcoded some sample files and the results are less than
satisfactory. The original files are still there, with a .old extension, so I
can easily delete the transcoded file and restore the original.

I have realised that the seek table will need to be rebuilt, and the database
entry changed since the original was .mpg and the transcoded file is .nuv. There
may be other steps I need to do as well.

Is there a standard way of reverting a transcode? Perhaps a script? It would be
useful to know so I don't break anything.
--

Mike Perkins