[mythtv-users] help wanted about mythtv installing on fedora core 8

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu May 15 20:02:53 UTC 2008

David Watkins wrote:
> On 15/05/2008, Xi Jiarong <XiJiarong at sp.edu.sg> wrote:
>>  Dear Nick
>> Thanks a lot.
>>
>> your suggested steps for solving this problem:
>>
>> *"**i) remove the livna RPM for faad2
>> ii) disable the livna repo
>> iii) install the atrpms.net version of faad2 **"*
>>
>> Could you please give a detail demostration about these three steps, I am
>> not so familar with this.
>> Thanks a lot:)
>>

> #yum remove faad2
>

> (if yum wants to remove remove a few dependent packages then make a note of
> their names, because you may have to reinstall them.  If yum wants to remove
> a large number of dependent packes then you need to be very carefull)
>
> edit /etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo and set Enabled = 0
>
> yum install faad2

The problem Nick referred to, is that atrpms and livna have some of the
same packages.
Since you are trying to install myth through yum, you are in fact going
to atrpms for the myth meta-package. So you should stay with atrpms. The
wiki article "Installing MythTV on Fedora" prefers the atrpms and
fresh-rpms repos over the livna repo. The wiki article "Installing
Mythtv SVN on Fedora" prefers  livna before atrpms. This is, I think, a
major mistake, as far more of the required dependencies are on atrpms.
However, there are packages which are only available on livna. You will
have to go there for those *specific* pacakges.
NEVER RUN A GENERAL UPDATE REQUEST AGAINST THESE REPOS.
You will never get firewire working if you mix these repos, and you will
likely have other problems.
And you really should be using the 'Everything' repo tree for Fedora
instead of the 'Fedora' tree. (Edit your /etc/yum.repos.d/fedroa.repo
file and replace
".../$releasever/Fedora/$basearch/..." with
".../$releasever/Everything/$basearch/..."

The following script will pull all of the dependencies which I know
about, for most of mytharchive, mythmusic and mythdvd from the fedora,
atrpms, and livna repos without getting into dependency hell, since it
only calls for specific packages at each site.

I wrote this about a year ago. It should go onto the wiki I guess...
Takes a while to run depending on your link but runs 'automagically'.
You can run this PRIOR to running 'yum install mythtv' and be sure that
you have the correct dependencies ALREADY installed, without conflicts.
In fact, I have just added that to the bottom.

Geoff

# Quick dependency fulfillment script for mythtv for *FEDORA*
# For SVN trunk (using qt4) plus mytharchive and mythdvd plugins (plus
some extras)
# Does not include requirements for other plugins
# Uses the atrpms and livna repos (assumes those repos are installed in
/etc/yum.repos.d)
#
#
# Assumes you need ivtv, lirc and firewire: DOES NOT SETUP THEM UP!
# Presumes you are starting from a 'bare metal' install of Fedora
# Can be run multiple times without problem.
# except for adding another "exclude= *i586*" line to /etc/yum.conf
#
# Presumes that your yum fedora.repo points to '
../releases/8/Everything/i386/os/packages'
# Presumes that you have *already* run 'yum -y update' following the
base install
# Where a library is required, you will also require the '*-devel' rpm.

#WARNING:  This setup prefers atrpms over fedora for libraries.
#WARNING:  Needed only for compiling myth from source!
#WARNING   You have rebooted after the update?
echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo ""
echo "          WARNING: Did you reboot after doing your update?"
echo ""
echo "          Use control-C now to exit now."
echo ""
echo ""

export KVER=`uname -r`

# Move atrpms, livna (and freshmeat) out of the way
echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Move atrpms, livna (and freshmeat, if installed), out of
the way"
echo ""
mkdir /etc/yum.repos.d/hold
echo "   You can ignore any 'File exists' error"
echo ""
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms* /etc/yum.repos.d/hold
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/livna* /etc/yum.repos.d/hold
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/fresh* /etc/yum.repos.d/hold

# To fix a problem where an i686 kernel gets downgraded to i586
# when installing kernel source

echo "exclude= *i586*" >> /etc/yum.conf

# Now install files from fedora repos
echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Install kernel sources"
echo ""
yum -y install kernel-devel
echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Update to qt4: does NOT install the 15 Meg of qt4-docs"
echo "          Note that these file names are case sensitive"
echo ""
yum -y install qt-MySQL qt4 qt4-devel qt4-mysql qt4-x11
echo  "/usr/lib/mysql" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
ldconfig

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Now for the files mythtv needs"
echo ""
yum  -y install alsa-lib alsa-lib-devel alsa-utils \
         cdparanoia cdparanoia-devel cdparanoia-libs \
         libdvdread libdvdread-devel \
         libtheora libtheora-devel  \
         libexif libexif-devel   \
         libtiff libtiff-devel  \
         libvorbis libvorbis-devel nasm \
         SDL SDL-devel
echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Add Firewire capabilies"
yum -y install libiec61883 libiec61883-devel libavc1394 libavc1394-devel

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Now bring atrpms into scope"
echo ""
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/hold/atrpms* /etc/yum.repos.d/

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Install ivtv including firmware for PVR150/250/350/500"
echo ""
yum -y install ivtv ivtv-devel ivtv-kmdl-$KVER ivtv-firmware

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Install lirc: you will have to deal with modprobe.conf
manually"
echo ""
yum -y install lirc lirc-lib lirc-lib-devel lirc-devices \
        lirc-kmdl-$KVER
echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Substitute the atrpms libraw1394 for the fedora version"
echo ""
yum update libraw1394    # substitutes atrpms version for fedora

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Now for the majority of the install"
echo "          You should raid the fridge or make a coffee....."
echo ""
echo ""
yum -y install a52dec a52dec-devel \
        alsa-driver alsa-driver-devel alsa-kmdl-$KVER \
        faac faac-devel faad2 faad2-devel \
        ffmpeg ffmpeg-devel \
        fftw fftw-devel fftw2 fftw2-devel \
        flac flac-devel \
        lame lame-devel libmp3lame0 \
        libcdaudio libcdaudio-devel \
        libdca libdca-devel libdca0 \
        libdvdnav libdvdnav-devel \
        libfame libfame-devel \
        libmad libmad0 libmad-devel \
        libXvMCW-devel \
        mjpegtools mjpegtools-devel \
        mplayer mplayerplug-in \
        taglib taglib-devel transcode \
        xvidcore xvidcore-devel

# For firewire
yum -y install libdc1394 libdc1394-devel libdc1394_22 \
        libraw1394-devel libraw1394_8

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Now hide atrpms and bring livna into scope."
echo "          The Livna repo has duplicates of many atrpms files, but
generally not"
echo "          as new, so we use it only for specific files."
echo "          Do NOT run 'yum update' with livna enabled!"
echo ""

mv /etc/yum.repos.d/hold/livna* /etc/yum.repos.d/
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/atrpms* /etc/yum.repos.d/hold

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Install files from Livna"
yum -y install libdvdcss libdvdcss-devel \
       libdvdplay libdvdplay-devel

# Run these to update what the kernel knows about your libraries
depmod -ae
ldconfig

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Now hide livna and bring atrpms back into scope."
echo ""

mv /etc/yum.repos.d/hold/atrpms* /etc/yum.repos.d/
mv /etc/yum.repos.d/livna* /etc/yum.repos.d/hold

echo "          ********************************* "
echo ""
echo "          Finally, get the mythtv packages."
echo ""
# Comment out the next line if you are going to build SVN
yum -y install mythtv

# Run these again

depmod -ae
ldconfig