[mythtv-users] Anyone run into NBC's Broadcast flag?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu May 15 16:40:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:34 PM,  <backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org> wrote:
> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/15/0312256
>
> Just wonder if anyone had a tuner that recognized the flag and had a
> show not record.  I know that the legislation demanding tuner compliance
> with the broadcast flag didn't pass, but I always wondered if any of
> them had implemented it anyway.  pcHDTV makes a big deal out of not
> implementing it in their products.

I recorded American Gladiators just fine on my HDHomerun. As I recall,
Silicon Dust said they neither honor nor dishonor the flag on the
HDHR...they just pass it along and let the computer on the end do with
it as it will. In this case, where does the flag get stored? Is it
something buried in the MPEG stream?

> Apparently Windows MCE wouldn't record affected shows.

Just the Vista version. XP machines recorded fine from what I've seen.

--
Ron