[mythtv-users] mythbuntu and nvidia 7300 problems

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Thu May 15 03:34:50 UTC 2008

Hello, is anyone out there using an nvidia 7300 (pci express) with mythbuntu
7.10 or 8.04?

I can't get playback to work smoothly unless i use the kernel decoder, and
the motion is horrible with kernel.

I have a core 2 duo 1.8ghz with 1gb of ram in my mythbox. The playback
worked great in ubuntu 7.10 with the yadif 2x decoder, but since i upgraded
to mythbuntu in an effort to simplify things (because so many other things
just weren't working right on plain ubuntu), i have most everything working
great now, mainly except for the single most important thing: playback.

When i attempt to use any other decoder, the playback will play for one
second, then stutter for one second, play for one second, then stutter.
Sound remains fine during playback, just the video keeps stuttering
throughout playback.

I have tried this with nothing else running on the system. When i use yadif
2x, the cpu jumps to 40% (20% of each core). With kernel, it is exactly half
of that. Still, nowhere near full cpu usage. I told mythbuntu to use the
newer nvidia drivers during install.

Any ideas?
-Thanks
-Steve