[mythtv-users] Cannot play recorded HD H264, advice on faster hardware needed

Sarah Katherine Hayes sarah at sarahhayes.is-a-geek.net
Thu May 15 01:48:02 UTC 2008

> I have put a 9MB fragment (file called sheep9.mpg) here:
> http://www.box.net/shared/yeo9ymakg0
>
> Maybe somebody with MythTV on fast processor can check if they can
> play this file and advice me on what hardware (processor /video card)
> I need for this?
Totem + mplayer gave a green corrupted frame, then insta-death. Internal
just died and killed the Frontend (I've never, actually seen that happen
before) Ubuntu 8.04 + updates + Mythbuntu 0.21-fixes packages.

*Note: I'm getting really annoyed with Ubuntu right about.... now, if
this was Gentoo I'd slap in the multimedia overlay*

Makes me think it's the same type of h264 as the HD-PVR pumps out, which
seems to be using 'something'; that something ain't quite as well
supported/optimized as the common garden variety found in my Anime
shows.  So it seems to require an excessive amount of grunt, which will
obviously change. :)

Finger the the air requirement, 2.8Ghz C2D in the Desktop flavor.