[mythtv-users] specific nvidia AGP card that can do HD playback?

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Wed May 14 21:18:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:04 AM, David Schlenk <mythtv at schdav.org> wrote:
>> > I have a KWorld ATSC 110 that works great except one of my frontends
>> > has an nvidia 6200 that apparently doesn't have the chops to do HD
>> > playback via XvMC. I've tried multiple versions of the driver and a
>> > few different distros and it just won't keep up. So I'm looking for a
>> > very specific recommnedation for a cheap nvidia AGP card that will
>> > handle ATSC content. I don't really do any x264 content. Here's my
>> > system info:

> I'm running HD playback on an FE-only system with an Nvidia 128MB 5200 AGP
> (outputting VGA to a 17" LCD), 1700+ Athlon XP and a gig of RAM with no
> problems.  I'm running Mythbuntu 8.04 with a very vanilla install, I only
> chose to use the Nvidia binaries during setup. I've never even opened
> xorg.conf. I don't think your problem is horsepower related, I think it may
> be a configuration issue.

Yeah I've heard good things about the 5200s but I need component
output and I don't believe they added that capability until the 6x00s.

It's not a config issue. I've verified that XvMC is actually running
and it does play back SD content just fine (created a config that
played everything through XvMC for testing). Used it exclusively in
.20 and previous for all output but never could get it playing HD.

I'm running mythbuntu .21 and yes it does set up XvMC properly which
is awesome. I've been using myth since like .14 or something (when was
2002?) and mythbuntu is by far the best myth experience I've had. I'm
mostly a redhat/centos/fedora guy since I work with it a lot but the
Ubuntu scene has me converted on the consumer side, that's for sure.
Anyway, I've also tried adding some options to the xorg.conf file like
UseEvents and the various AGP options none of which made any
difference. I hear rumours about opengl-xvmc stuff which I also tried
but it made it worse so I went back to Qt for the menu rendering
engine. I've tried various deinterlacing methods as well. Nothing gets
it over the bump.

I was just reading through the readme from the nvidia driver ubuntu
installed and it mentions an option called "XvmcUsesTextures" which
forces  XvMC to use the 3D engine for XvMCPutSurface requests rather
than the video overlay... I'll try that when I get home and let you
know if that helps (my guess is no).

There's some chatter from like 2 years ago on nv news forums about a
possible bug in some x libraries adversely affecting 6200 cards. I
have no idea if its related or if its since been fixed but thought I'd
put it out there as a reason why my card doesn't work. Link: