[mythtv-users] What graphics card?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 14 20:38:12 UTC 2008

On 05/14/2008 04:31 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Sarah Katherine Hayes wrote:
>
>> Considering the threads about XvMC, HD in all it's wonderous and bizare
>> formats, I was wondering which graphics chipset should someone be aiming
>> for if they wanted (eventually) full GPU acceleration?  So h264, mpeg2,
>> DivX and so on.
>>
>> I'm guessing Nvidia is, at the moment out with the lack of PureVideo in
>> their Linux drivers... but I know nothing of the new RadeonHD drivers or
>> Intel's latest offerings.
>>
>> So, what would people recommend for current and future capabilities?
> Current: Nvidia, hands down
> Future: I would take a serious look at Intel.  They've recently supported
> XvMC across their chipsets
>
> My gut tells me that Intel will have H.264 support on Linux before Nvidia or
> ATI since ATI can't even get XvMC support and Nvidia seems to consider Linux
> an afterthought much of the time.

And I'd guess that by the time we have H.264 decode acceleration, there
will be no reason to use it (i.e. CPU's and software will have
sufficient performance for software decode).  :)  Note that we're pretty
much there, right now, too--the main difference is that when the GPU
acceleration is available, the CPU's required for software decode will
be dirt cheap.

Mike