[mythtv-users] will a database work if I change the storage setup?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed May 14 17:31:01 UTC 2008

Michael Truscott wrote:
> Let me explain.  I am about to install an extra HDD in my Mythbox and also
> take this oppurtunity to reinstall my system.
>
> Previously, I had used LVM to merge 2 discs and would like to move to 2 of the
> discs being added via storage groups.
>
> If I reinstall a backed up database will it cope with this level of change
> (different mount point, different location for some of the programmes) or
> will it all end in a mess and I'll wish I done something else instead as 18
> months of accumulated stuff is useless?

You are going to have to be careful in how you do this.

Start here: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5

and back up your database.
Following on from there, the docs explain how you move to new hardware,
but your problem is the LVM.

I *think* that the order of things should be:

1) install the new harddrive
2) give it a mount point (/video3 or whatever)
3) use mythtv-setup to revise the storage group to include /video3
(Now myth will look at the LVM mount point and /video3 to find programs)
4) use rsync or cp to copy your recorded programs out of the LVM volume.
   (I presume that the new HD will be much bigger than the old ones...)
5) remove the lvm hardware or reformat to break down the LVM setup.
6) create mount points for the ex-LVM disks if necessary
7) use mythtv-setup to add those mount points to the storage group
6) With the hardware all set up, NOW do the myth re-install.

Geoff