[mythtv-users] Free Sat.

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed May 14 14:43:48 UTC 2008

On 5/14/08, Damian O'Sullivan <shabba at skynet.ie> wrote:

> I have a current Sky Digital set up using a pvr150 and svideo. I was
> wondering what I had to do to access FreeSat. Obviously the dish is
> pointing the right direction but do I need a new LNB and cable or can I
> split the current cable? What card would you recommend? I only have a
> core2duo at 1.8Ghz at moment. Would this be enough or is there a card that
> can offload the burden for HD?
>
> I have no problem playing HD samples at the moment.

Depends on whether you want to keep the Sky box or not.  If you replace the
Sky - just feed the cable into a DVB-S card (I use the Techntrend S-1500).
If you want to do Sky and Freesat, you'll need a dual-LNB with 2 cables
coming down.  Depending on your dish you might be able to install a new LNB,
otherwise you'll need a new dish.

I'm not sure the core2duo at 1.8G will be enough for the BBC HD - I struggle
with a 2.1G core2duo.  Have you specifically tried the BBC HD, or a generic
HD sample.  THe BBC format is much more taxing!  There are somethings you
can patch to make it work better though.