[mythtv-users] Vizio LCD native resolution problem over DVI->HDMI

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Wed May 14 03:08:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:01 PM, Scott Alfter
<mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Given that HDMI is just a superset of DVI, why should this be the case?  I have
> an LCD TV with a DVI input (a Vizio L30, as it happens), and it doesn't do
> overscan on the DVI input (don't think it does overscan on VGA either, but I
> rarely use that input).  Setting it up to run at its native resolution
> (1280x768) was easy.  I briefly had a different LCD that had only offered VGA
> input (no DVI or HDMI), and it insisted on doing overscan...it went back to the
> store a few days later.
>
> Image quality (especially for graphics) on LCDs is pretty crappy when you don't
> have a 1:1 mapping between pixels in the video card and pixels in the display.
> ~ As desirable as the lack of analog distortion in a DVI or HDMI signal may be,
> if a TV forces overscan on you to use it, I'd consider that a deal-breaker.
> Lack of overscan on the VGA input may make up for it, but if it insists on
> doing overscan on both VGA and DVI/HDMI, I'd consider it defective and would
> trade it in for a better model.

The TV knows a DVI or VGA connection is from a PC so no overscan
necessary, HDMI though, is probably from a different type of source
that it thinks requires overscan.

Just do a google search for HDMI overscan and you'll see everyone with
a PC has a problem with the overscan "Feature" on their TV.