[mythtv-users] Auto-Expire didn't work

Mark Boyum circushair at gmail.com
Tue May 13 03:40:19 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd drop a quick note to share my experience tonight.  The drive I
store my recordings on filled up and auto-expire did nothing about it.  The
backend log file indicated that it couldn't locate any expired files to
delete (sorry, my verbose logs were set to over-write and I lost the exact
error).  Though, if I went to Information center / Status / Expire it
displayed all the files that should expire.  I was even able to manually
delete them from that list.

Verbose logging showed that it was finding my recordings at
/var/lib/mythtv/recordings even though my only storage group is configured
for /storage/recordings.  /var/lib/mythtv/recordings is a symlink to
/storage/recordings so it is finding the same files, but not acting on
them.  I simply removed the symlink and created an empty recordings dir
there.  The next time I started the backend, it found all my recordings in
the correct path, /storage/recordings, and auto-expire deleted enough to
maintain my desired free space.

I hope there is enough information to help some one else avoid the couple
hours it took me to fix this little snag.  Now hopefully the wife doesn't
notice that a couple of shows didn't record tonight :)

This occurred on a system that was upgraded from Ubuntu 7.04 / Myth .20 to
8.04 / .21 from the repositories.

Later,
-Mark