[mythtv-users] Is anyone else having problems with lossless MPEG-2 TS transcoding?

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Mon May 12 22:26:44 UTC 2008

Lately, I've had problems using MythTV's built-in lossless transcoding with
programs that were recorded as MPEG-2 transport streams.  I first ran into this
with Carrier (recorded in 1080i from an A180)...there seemingly was no audio,
but I think the video was OK.  I think the local PBS station puts out multiple
audio streams, and the transcoder picked the wrong one.  More recently, my
Battlestar Galactica edits (recorded in 480i over FireWire from a 3250HD) were
more badly corrupted...video frames appeared out-of-order, and seeking within
the file didn't work.  I didn't have this problem with transcodes of season 3
episodes made with older versions of MythTV.

I've replaced BSG with files from...um...other sources. :-) I could make
before-and-after samples of the next episode available once it airs later this
week.  I'm running 0.21 build 17100 (the newest Gentoo ebuild as of a week or
two ago) on AMD64 Gentoo.  (If it matters, the underlying system uses a
Gigabyte 945P-DS3, a Core 2 Duo E6300, and a no-name PCI Express FireWire card
with a TI chipset.)

   _/_
  / v \ Scott Alfter