[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Video2Ipod h.264 Files Play Video Fine but no Sound on IPOD Nano

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Mon May 12 07:04:34 UTC 2008

I'm hoping to find an expert here. I've created some file using
Video2Ipod. They play fine on several
players, including gmplayer, vlc on windows, itunes internal player,
but have no sound on vlc for
linux and on an IPOD Nano. I got a good file and the only difference I
can see from mindentify
is that one of the ID_AUDIO_BITRATE is 0 on the bad file and matches
the other on the good file.

midentify goodfilename.mp4
ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_FILENAME=goodfilename.mp4
ID_DEMUXER=mov
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=avc1
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=640
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=360
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=mp4a
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=160000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=325.96
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffh264
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=160000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=44100
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=faad

midentify /badfilename.mp4
ID_VIDEO_ID=0
ID_AUDIO_ID=1
ID_FILENAME=/badfilename.mp4
ID_DEMUXER=mov
ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=avc1
ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=0
ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=320
ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=192
ID_VIDEO_FPS=29.970
ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=0.0000
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=mp4a
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=0
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_LENGTH=3657.65
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffh264
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=128000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=faad

Using the internal Myth player gives:
AFD: Using ffmpeg for video decoding
AFD: Looking for decoder for H264
AFD: Opened codec 0x3a8b1b0, id(H264) type(Video)
AFD: Stream #1, has id 0x2 codec id AAC, type Audio, bitrate 0 at 0x0x3d70e50
AFD: codec AAC has 2 channels
AFD: Looking for decoder for AAC
AFD Error: Could not find decoder for codec (AAC), ignoring.

Myth has no AAC codec avaialble, but it seems to be seeing the first
audio bitrate of 0 not the second of 128000.

Any Ideas?

Mark