[mythtv-users] Semi OT: Directv questions

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Mon May 12 01:39:58 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I've recently moved, ditched Comcast, and got Directv set up and
running yesterday. So far I'm very impressed. I got serial control of
the D12 box without a hitch and far easier than I had imagined thanks
to the wiki instructions and the authors of directv.pl. Thank you.

But within hours of getting it running, I had already started spinning
my wheels about expansion. I hope some folks here have enough
experience with directv to answer a few questions.

1) I've heard that the HD boxes put out a better signal, even over the
SD ports. I'm running my current box (D12-100) though a PVR-250 via
S-video. The signal is strong and there aren't really any problems
other than a clear sense that the signal is more compressed than the
cable signal I was used to.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the
HD-capable boxes are cleaner in this configuration? My landlord has
several spare HD boxes and he's more than willing to loan me one if
this is true.

2) I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one already, but I
thought I'd ask just to get confirmation. As I mentioned I have a
PVR-250 and a decided lack of spare PCI slots on my backend. With a
PVR-500 (and add-on bracket) it would support two inputs from two
boxes over two S-Video ports and two audio-ins, right?

3) I currently controlling the Directv box via a frankenstein
serial->9-pin gender changer->null modem->serial-USB adapter cable.
But I don't have a second serial port, neither for another
frankencable nor for my Myblaster (which is now in a box). How does
one control a second box? Is adding another USB-serial adapter at the
backend an option?

4) I asked the installer a number of questions, but wasn't really
convinced by any of his answers so took all of it with a grain of
salt. For example I asked him if I got another box if it would be
enough to add a coaxial 2-way splitter at the end to connect both. He
didn't think that would be too good an idea, and said that if it was
another standard box, I should call service and tell them my picture
was out, then when a guy showed up to fix it offer him $10 to drill
another hole and run a new cable from outside. He also said that if it
was an HD box I was adding they'd have to add another piece of
hardware outside. But either way, splitting the signal inside wouldn't
work very well. Thoughts or opinions?

I won't ask the one the one has been beaten to death with no clear
answer yet. I won't ask when the wondrous new Hauppage HD capture
device will be supported, or what the playback requirements will be. I
won't ask whether or not my horribly outdated P4 2.5 will support the
native H.264 format when the thing is fully Myth-compatible. But if I
were to ask, would anyone have any answers?

Thanks in advance.