[mythtv-users] Yes, it's overkill, but here is the list for my new machine in planning...

Patrick Mansfield patman at aracnet.com
Sun May 11 18:33:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 07:39:19PM -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:

> -Seagate SV35.2 ST3500630SV 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
> -EXCELSTOR Jupiter Series ESJ8080S 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

> Hard drives:  Thought I'd give the "video drives" from Seagate a shot.
> The other drive is the OS drive, so I didn't care much about it.  Newegg
> had it rated pretty good, so why not, it's inexpensive, and if worse
> came to worse, I drop in one of my PATA drives to get it back up and
> running.

I don't see warranty information for the Execlstor drive, there is a
review on newegg saying you will only get a 30 day warranty.

I would get a Seagate for your root / OS drive just for the longer 5 year
warranty - not because you'll get a replacement drive if it fails, back,
but because the drive will (hopefully) last longer, replacing a failed
drive sucks!

And maybe get one seagate drive for everything, I used to run with root
and video (recoding and playing back HD) on one disk and never had
problems.

You might as well go to 750Gb or more, given current prices - there is a
750gb seagate on newegg for $129. I don't know anything about their "video
drives", it doesn't sound useful unless you need higher disk bandwidth.

-- Patrick Mansfield