[mythtv-users] Prebuffering Pause despite very little resource use?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 11 16:51:32 UTC 2008

On 05/10/2008 01:10 PM, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I have a fairly beefy machine ( Dual core Athlon 64 6400+ ). My video
> card is a GeForce 8400 GS and I am using the GLX binary drivers.
>
> When playing HD 1080i MPEG2 content (source is DVB), it is only using
> 10% Cpu. However, I am getting stuttering, with the dreaded
> "prebuffering pause" message.
>
> All storage is local, I have 2 GB memory, plenty of free CPU - why is
> this message happening? How can I fix it?
>
> I have tried every deinterlacer / decoding combination I can find,
> with no help. Even disabling deinterlacing does not help.

Try the (default configuration of the) Slim playback profile.  Note that
there's no shame in using Slim on a beefy machine (I do).

If you don't have the defaults (i.e. if you modified the examples rather
than creating your own profile group), see
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles  for how to reset
them (specifically,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Playback_profiles#Default_profile_groups
).