[mythtv-users] increasing load

Joe Ripley vitaminjoe at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:04:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
> FWIW: I have no transcode or other stuff running. Not even a frontend.
> It is just the box running with a backend. No other big processes.
>
> Scheduler does not take up the CPU as much as it used to so that is not
> the culprit.
> Even when the load is like 2, the CPU is around 80% idle for most of the
> time.
>
> Why o why?

It could be the result of I/O waiting or niced tasks.  Run top and
check this line:

Cpu(s):  0.0% us,  0.3% sy, 95.7% ni,  0.0% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  4.0% si

Take note of the 'wa' CPU usage and see if it's at or near zero.
Also, try running 'dmesg' and see if there's anything weird reported
by the kernel.

--
Joe Ripley
vitaminjoe at gmail.com