[mythtv-users] BBC HD on Freesat

John Taylor john at vetsurgeon.org.uk
Sat May 10 09:21:20 UTC 2008

whoops, cat pressed send button before finishing!
> Now that freesat has been launched here in the UK, it's time to work
> exactly what we need to watch it!
>
> It seems BBC HD is broadcast in MPEG4 (H.264,ts) at around 16259kbps
> video, 256kbps audio
>
> It seems the internal player is unable to play this. I have /just/
> about managed to play it dropping frames (-lavdopts
> skiploopfilter=all) with mplayer and the latest ffmpeg
>
> My set up

AMS Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ CPU
2GB RAM
Gainward GeForce 8600GTS video card
Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon

1 core is constantly around 95%, doesn't matter if I try to play it
multithreaded as the video stream and/or ffmpeg doesn't support this
(the core being used for decoding just alternates)

It's my impression the problem is with ffmpeg from reading various
mailing lists. Is there anyone trying to get HD H.264 working well in
the UK?

Thanks

John