[mythtv-users] OT: ATSC/QAM Encode to distribute HD over longer runs.

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Sat May 10 03:28:24 UTC 2008

> I would think at min you would need something to take a proper ATSC
> bitstream
> and use the 8VSB or the cable modulation scheme to modulate it onto a
> channel,
> and I would not think that putting that on something like USB would take
> cost
> that much to make, so long as the computer was providing the proper
> bitstream to
> start with.

I don't think that an individual USB 8VSB/QAM modulator would be expensive
to produce.  Neither do I think that any of the software problems involved
in implementing an ATSC video distribution system are hard.

I think it is unlikely anybody will start producing and selling the hardware
cheaply anytime soon.  When you consider the cost of IR repeaters and their
associated wiring, an 8VSB modulator for each simultaneous channel, and
hardware that can support realtime encoding of each stream in addition to
all the other things you would like it to do, the complete system just isn't
much cheaper than putting a networked set top box at each TV.

Eventually we will see cheap ATSC encoder/modulators, but I don't expect to
see them soon.  There just isn't a market for them.

-chris

--
Chris Ribe
TV/IT Engineer