[mythtv-users] WHY exactly is firewire so unstable?

Marc Barrett mnealbarrett at cox.net
Sat May 10 00:27:14 UTC 2008

I have gotten firewire to work fairly well with a Motorola DCH-3200,
on a system based on mythbuntu 8.04.  However, even though it
works fairly well, it is still prone to "problems", where the connection
will stop working right and I'll have to run "firewire_tester -B" to get
the connection working again.  I'm just wondering why this happens
exactly.  After all, you don't ever hear about USB connections being
prone to these kinds of problems, for example.  I've never, ever had
any of my USB peripherals (and I've got a lot) stop working; they just
work, period.