[mythtv-users] Pentium M laptop as frontend for HDTV?

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Fri May 9 06:21:38 UTC 2008

>My 1.7GHz Pentium-M cross-test hardware is actually using a nvidia
>pci-e card, the on-board video is the Intel 910GM or 915GM (can't
>remember offhand). If I get some time, I can try this with the newer
>intel driver and see. I need to update that box to the new Mythbuntu
>release anyway. It would be an interesting experiment as reports are
>not clear if XvMC under Intel video chipsets is a viable solution.

Just an update, I yanked the nvidia card from my 1.7GHz Pentium-M ITX
system. This is 915GM chipset now using the on-board Intel video.
System RAM is 1GB.

Straight Mythbuntu 8.04 install using it's standard intel X11 driver.
In other words, very plain jane.

Using "Slim" playback profile. 1080i decode and display onto a
1024x768 LCD using VGA output. Top shows about 78 percent cpu going
to Mythfrontend and Xorg. The Intel X11 drive is not the current
version and cannot do XvMC but from the cpu usage, a 1.7GHz cpu with
a Intel 915GM chipset seems quite capable of 1080i decode and display.