[mythtv-users] Ripping with MythDVD

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Thu May 8 20:43:51 UTC 2008

> Would it be too off-topic to ask what NAV packets are and what difference
> this makes (if any) on the ripped file?

A title contains one or more VOBs, a VOB is made of cells which are made of
VOBUs which start with a NAV packet. The NAV packet contains a lot of
information (cell id, address of the VOBU, where it ends, where the next one
starts, etc). The import feature follows that chain and stores the content.

If you look at jobthread.cpp you can see it read the DSI packet, you can see
what the DSI packet contains in libmythdvdnav/nav_types.h (dsi_t). If you
are really curious you can use your favorite search engine (I'd need to do
the same, other than the vagueness above I don't keep much more in my head).

What does this mean for things you import with Perfect? Not much. mtd's
import method is very similar to vobcopy (if you look at jobthread.cpp you
can see that the core code was clearly adapted from other code).

--
Anduin Withers