[mythtv-users] AM2+ motherboard with support for ECC RAM for media player / server

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 8 18:01:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> SCSI does not matter anymore, in the last 3 years the SATA/IDE disk have got a
> lot better, I think the issue is that the disk manufacturers figured out better
> platter quality control.   I have experience with large samples of SCSI
> (2003-800 scsi disks) and SATA disks (2000+ IDE/SATA  disks), and they both have
> similar failures rates, if you go back to large numbers of IDE/SCSI disks in the
> 2000-2004 range this was not the case and the SATA disks were utter crap were
> you could expect 10-20% failures in the first 6 months, and the SCSI/FC disks
> had very low failure rates.

from what I understood, drive manufacturers stopped making SCSI
specific drives when SATA came about. The only difference between the
drives being the interface electronics. I believe most models were no
longer SCSI specific long before, but it took them a bit longer to do
it with "enterprise" versions of the drives.

Of course, as has been discussed on this list before, recent research
has shown there is no correlation between drive series and failure
rates (ie enterprise or not).

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!