[mythtv-users] Can't playback recorded shows but preview works - SOLVED

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 8 15:50:00 UTC 2008

On 05/08/2008 08:30 AM, Mike Wright wrote:
>> Heh. That's the exact problem I'm currently working on solving (in
>> #5319), but I didn't think of it when I saw your post. I hope in 0.22
>> we'll have it working so if you start a frontend or slave backend whose
>> time zone differs from that of the master backend, it will exit with a
>> useful error message saying that you need to fix your time zone
>> configuration.
> No problem at all Mike.  That sounds like a good way of handling it.
> It would be especially useful for diskless front ends especially when
> the daylight savings schedule changes - like it has in Perth
> Australia.  Imagine this situation:
>
> 1. Your back end gets an updated deb with the new time to kick in the
> day light savings change.  Say the Oz government changes the  month
> that daylight savings starts.
> 2. Daylight savings kicks in.
> 3.  You forgot to update diskless front end's CHROOT as in step 1.
> above for the back end.
> 4.  You can play any shows until you figure out what has happened :-)

Yep, so my goal is to inform the user on startup that the configuration
is broken so that they don't "assume" that everything is properly
configured (because everything they've tested seems to work) and then
one day parts of Myth just stop working.  Those "it was working fine and
I didn't change anything" issues are the hardest for a user to solve
(and it's often /very/ difficult for the reporter to convince people on
the list that he didn't change anything).

Mike