[mythtv-users] converting a .20.2 database to .21

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Wed May 7 20:06:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/2008 02:24 PM, Fred Squires wrote:

>  > MythTV will upgrade your database when you run mythtvsetup.
>
>  Right, it's MythTV (specifically mythtv-setup or mythbackend) that
>  upgrades the database, not the distro-specific MythTV package upgrade
>  that does it.

That's good to know - in fact, I'm pleasantly surprised, as rarely do
things turn out to be that easy when I try and do something with the
backend.

>  Note, though, you need to have a 0.20.2 database in place for the
>  upgrade to work.  That means you need to do the restore of your 0.20.2
>  database into an /empty/ database (i.e. the one create by passing mc.sql
>  to the mysql command-line client--
>  http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2 ).  So, don't run
>  mythtv-setup or mythbackend before doing the restore.  If you (or
>  someone else--such as a packager script) does run it, you'll need to
>  issue the command, "DROP DATABASE mythconverg;" to MySQL and then
>  create the initial database, as above (in #ss6.2).

Actually, I had planned on running/testing 0.21 on my "dev" partition
first, to make sure it plays nice with 0.21 on my main frontend, which
is OS X.  So I had anticipated needing to drop the existing database
once I wanted to "go live".
However, in the past, I have not had to use mc.sql to create an empty
database.  After the drop command, I follow
http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5
and do:
    $ mysql -u root
    mysql>create database mythconverg;
    mysql>exit
    $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < mythtv_backup.sql
Then, I would run mythtv-setup.
If I do this, is the mc.sql step still necessary?

>  Also, make sure you use mysqldump to create the backup
I always do :)